Wednesday, September 21, 2011

School Finance - Week 5 Assignment, Part 3: Reflection

           Overall, I found this course to be very valuable for preparation of a superintendent’s responsibilities as the financial officer of the District. My post-self-assessment indicates that I increased my level of competence, specifically in two areas: 1) obtaining and using funds from various sources, and 2) developing and implementing plans for using technology and information systems to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of school district operations. Though these are two indicators in which I experienced the largest growth, I feel I have gained a higher level of competency in all indicators.
            With regard to the lectures, I found the history of school finance particularly interesting. It was an unexpected aspect of the course, and I was very pleased that it was included in the lecture. The area from which I benefitted the most was introduced in week three’s lessons and activities. There is so much to know about the M & O budget: from where the funds come and how they may be allocated. This is an area in which I had the largest gaps in my knowledge. Week three’s lecture, resources, and activities for the assignment helped to fill some of these gaps.
            The opportunity to work as a group on activities with some of my cohorts was enriching. It gave me an opportunity to gain deeper insights by incorporating their experiences, wisdom gained from their district leaders, and their unique points of view into my own. I feel I gained a much broader and deeper understanding by collaborating and sharing with my group members.
             Finally, I especially enjoyed interviewing my superintendent and assistant superintendent. They are both always very gracious with their time and with support of my endeavors. After visiting with them, I feel more enlightened with regard to their roles and responsibilities.
         

1 comment:

  1. Donna - Enjoyed reading your post. Overall I to grew to competent level in several indicators. Even thought I feel a little better with them I still have a ways to go. Enjoyed viewing your posts and blogs throught the course. Hope you are having a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete